Tuesday, January 17, 2012

#3 of the $10 Toddler Time Series--Silky Dough


I've made homemade playdough a few times and thought I'd try something different this time. This is a neat project to do and can be quite messy, depending on the kid of course! 

To make this silky type dough, you will need:
1 cup Baby Oil--Already had ($1 to buy)
8 cups Flour--Already had  ($2 to buy)
Large bowl or storage bag--Already had ($1 to buy)

I wasn't sure how this would work out so I decided to cut the recipe in half this first time. 

And yes, I tried to add food coloring, not such a good idea...Paint would probably work better, but I didn't feel like making THAT much of a mess. 
We stuck it out being its natural color.


I actually mixed these in a plastic storage bag, but you could use a bowl instead. 
I didn't have a big enough bowl that was clean. 
True story. 

Emily said she was making a "sandcastle" although it looks as if she is about to destroy it in the next photo.



And then it was destroyed! The bits were scattered all around and then they looked more and more like a sandbox had been dumped out on the dining room table. Emily loved the feel of the "dough" and I thought it felt a bit like deodorant all crumbled up. It smelled nice and made my hands feel pretty and moisturized. 
I suppose I could have added more baby oil to make the dough more "sticky" but we really did have fun with it just the way it was. Obviously, if you wanted it more dry, add more flour. 



We made a turtle!!


 And we practiced our letters! It's "A" week again here!



In the end, it was a fun 30-minute distraction from the real world. We enjoyed it and she's already asked if we could play in it again. I did wipe the leftovers back into the storage baggie and put it HIGH on a shelf in the closet. Clean-up was a cinch! It wiped right up off the table and the small bits that managed to get on our floor were swept up easily also.

EXTRA BONUS!
It used up the baby oil that has been in the closet since one of my baby showers for Emily! I love crafts that use up stuff that has been just sitting around collecting dust!







No comments:

Post a Comment